CASE STUDY – Creating A Safety Culture At Custom Transportation
Custom Transportation, located in Elgin, Illinois, is a company that specializes in the delivery of
medical equipment and supplies to hospitals, clinics, and medical supply companies in the
Midwest. The majority of employees at Custom Transportation are sales representatives, warehouse
staff, and truck drivers. Currently, most of these workers are over age 40.
As a result of ongoing expansion, the company will grow from 225 employees to more than 500
employees in the next three years. Several government contracts have already been signed, and more
are anticipated. The company has recently hired you as the warehouse manager. Part of your job is to
oversee all safety programs for the company. These duties had been handled primarily informally by
the chief financial officer (CFO) prior to your coming onboard.
On your first day, the CFO calls you in and gives you the following directives and information:
• Safety in the warehouse is becoming a real issue. The accident rate has tripled since last
year. Something has to be done.
• Absenteeism has increased, especially on Fridays and Mondays.
• The company is spending 25% of its payroll costs on workers’ compensation claims. Many of
the claims are related to cumulative trauma disorders.
• You need to get rid of an employee in the warehouse who is reported to have AIDS.
Write a 500-word paper, double-spaced answering the questions below. Include: Brief overview,
strategic issues, analysis and evaluation; recommendations. Use at least 2 sources besides the case
In your analysis and evaluation conduct literature reviews on the subject of discussion and use to
support your case study answers by applying HR concepts.
Case study questions:
1. How would you respond to each of the directives from the CFO? What steps would you take
to instill a culture of safety in this warehouse?
2. Do you think a wellness program makes sense for this company? Provide support for your
3. What do you think will be the biggest challenge in increasing safety and health at this facility?
4. How will you address the issue of the employee with AIDS?
The post Custom Transportation, located in Elgin, Illinois, is a company that specializes in the delivery of medical equipment and supplies to hospitals, clinics, and medical supply companies in the Midwest. appeared first on excellent homeworks.