Psy 102, Homework #1 – DUE DATE _________________________
This assignment will be submitted to the Dropbox titled “Homework #1” in D2L. You can submit a document for each activity or one document that includes both activities.
Naturalistic Observation and Analysis of a Research Study
There are two parts to this assignment. You must complete both of the following activities to be counted as the full homework assignment. Each part of this assignment is worth 15pts. for a total of 30pts. for this assignment.
Activity 1: People Watching – 101 – Naturalistic Observation
Many people enjoy sitting and watching other people. As a budding psychologist, you should know that this is how psychologists often discover what they would like to study in greater depth.
For this assignment, you will go out into a space where people are congregating and observe them for about 30 minutes. This type of research is called naturalistic observation. The goal of naturalistic observation is that you watch a naturally occurring behavior and do not change it in any way. People should not know they are being watched; otherwise, they may not act naturally.
Bring a pad of paper along with you and take notes about the things that you find interesting. Just try to be unobtrusive. Choose one particular behavior to focus on and watch several people. Make sure that you focus on one behavior to watch, and take notes on the behavior. Try to be objective. Note the behavior, but try not to interpret it.
Once you have completed your observations, attempt to form a theory about human behavior based on the observations you made.
In a typed 1-page paper, answer the following questions:
1. State the date, time, and location of your observation.
2. What behavior did you choose to focus on?
3. Can you say anything about people in general based on what you saw?
4. Did you see similarities in people’s behaviors?
5. Did you notice any differences in the behavior (consider age, gender, race, etc.)?
6. Did you notice any potential research questions or hypothesis that may be of interest for future study?
7. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this type of research method?
The first section of this assignment (the paper you will be submitting), will be graded with the following rubric:
● Include all accurate content in the seven questions above – 10pts.
● Grammar, spelling and punctuation – 3pts.
● Title page in APA style format – 2pts.
Total of 15pts. for the first part of this assignment
Activity #2: Analysis of a Research Study
Dr. Java is interested in marketing his super-hyper espresso and believes that his coffee will make students perform better on exams. He studied 200 college students who had similar grades. He had his research assistants give half of the students a decaffeinated super-hyper espresso and the other half his caffeinated super-hyper espresso. Participants were not told which beverage they were given, and the research assistants did not know which beverage was in each cup. He gave the entire group the same final exam and found that the caffeine group performed significantly better on the exam.
Given the above example, identify the following portions of the research study.
– Type this on a separate page from your paper in the first part of this assignment, but submit both of the assignments to the Dropbox for Homework #1in D2L.
Please answer these questions in full sentences.
1. Identify the following portions of the research study: hypothesis, independent variable, dependent variable, extraneous and/or confounding variables, control group, and experimental group. (6pts.)
2. Was this a Single Blind Procedure or a Double Blind Procedure? How do you know? (2 pts.)
3. Was this study Experimental Research or Correlational Research? How do you know? (2 pts.)
The second section of this assignment, will be graded with the following rubric:
● Include all accurate content in the three questions above – 10pts. (See point break down above)
● Full submission of this assignment – 2pts.
● Grammar, spelling and punctuation – 3pts.
Total of 15pts. for the second part of this assignment
The post For this assignment, you will go out into a space where people are congregating and observe them for about 30 minutes. This type of research is called naturalistic observation. appeared first on excellent homeworks.