How much and when should the individual’s suffering be overlooked for the common good? How much suffering is too much?
1500 – 2000 word (6-7 pages) essay .
Paper , Order, or Assignment Requirements
Write a 1500 – 2000 word (6-7 pages) essay that fully addresses the following. You should bring in at least 5 additional sources beyond the assigned readings that may apply. Use the Excelsior Library Research Guides and One Search tools to find appropriate academic sources.
You must select a topic that focuses on scientific/medical research on subjects either human or animal. This must be research not current care practices. Do not select “embryonic stem cell research, euthanasia, assisted suicide etc. These topics are either not actual research or are not scientific controversies that lead to ethical dilemmas for the scientists and society. Review the following power point on distinguishing ethical dilemmas from personal moral beliefs. 382Ethical.pptx
This assignment requires a topic proposal and outline.
• The 1 paragraph topic proposal, tell why it is an ethical dilemma for scientists and society. Be sure to include who are the research subjects, humans or animals and what the research focus is, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, nutrition/food additives, health and beauty aids, etc.
• The research question you will address in your essay
1. Select one area of scientific research (pharmaceuticals, medical devices, therapies, surgical procedures, etc), which uses either human subjects or animal subjects. Identify this choice in the title of your essay.
• Example: Since my choice is research on drugs being tested on plants; the title of my essay will be: Regulating drug therapy research using plants: can it or should it be done?
2. Create a research question fully articulating what aspect you will explore. Do not just say “The ethics of research on humans” this is WAY too broad.
• Example: Are the current regulations governing plant pharmaceutical experiments enough to assure full compliance around the globe? OR: Are the aftercare regulations for plants that participate in drug research sufficient and consistent around the world?
3. Your topic must focus on the ethical dilemma involved. Nothing is just good or bad. There are multiple aspects to be considered. Give equal time and attention to BOTH sides.
• Example: The benefits from plant research are many, including medical discoveries that save countless lives, food production initiatives and products such as Biofuels. The research on plants has a negative consequence in the pain and suffering inflicted on these organisms. How do we balance these two aspects? How much and when should the individual’s suffering be overlooked for the common good? How much suffering is too much?
Your essay due will include the following points. Be sure to review these and be sure your topic choice is robust enough to provide detailed information on each of these aspects.
4. Identify and explain the complex ethical dilemmas faced by the scientists/researchers you have selected as they pursue this type of research. 5. Describe how the research impacts individuals, communities, and society across the globe. 6. Examine the possible solutions to these problems/issues that have been proposed and how or if they are working. 7. Construct a conclusion based on the facts and ideas you have uncovered in researching this topic and apply your own ideas to the solving this problem.
Part 2: Completes Essay