Module 2 Discussion Instructions Role of Epidemiology in Public Health
Discussion Question to be answered:
Locate the Quad Council Competencies for Public Health Nurses document in the Resources tab. Imagine you are the nurse consultant at the state department of health. This presenation has been sent by an advocacy group to the Governor for him to make the program funding requests and recommendations. As the nursing director, you have been assigned to the “Fact Check” which includes checking for accuracy of all the information. Based upon your research, select two core competencies and summarize for the Governor the need for the services and how this may positively impact public health.
PLEASE NOTE THIS …..THE DISCUSSION SHOULD BE 250-300 WORDS IN LENGTH AND AT LEAST ONE SCHOLARLY SOURCE AS WELL AS THE TEXTBOOK NOTED IN LEARNING MATERIALS BELOW …ALSO THE QUAD COUNCILCOMPETENCIES for PUBLIC HEALTH NURSES WILL BE SENT VIA EMAIL.
• Curley, A. L. C. & Vitale, P. A. Population-based nursing: Competencies and concepts for advanced practice. New York: Springer Publishing. Chapters 2, 3
• Friis, R. H. & Sellers, T. A. Epidemiology for public health practice (5th ed.). Birlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett. ISBN: 978-14496-6549-4 Chapters 2-7, 9-10
• Hellwig, J. (December/January, 2013). “Safe to Sleep” Campaign. Nursing for Women’s Health, 16(6), 505.
• History of Epidemiology and Bacteriology (14 minutes)
After completing this module, you will be able to do the following:
• Identify the three basic concepts which are the foundation of epidemiological perspective on health and illness.
• Define endemic, pandemic, epidemic, hypperendemic, and sporadic as it relates to disease.
• Describe the three epidemiological models and how they could be used in public health nursing.
• Define risk as an epidemiological concept. Differentiate between absolute and relative risk.
• Distinguish between morbidity and mortality risks.
• Describe the concept of surveillance and its relationship to population health nursing.
• Identify the essential components of a community assessment.
Epidemiology uses data to describe the who, what, where and when regarding disease causation. As opposed to acute or clinic care where the nurses are one of the major collectors of the data to describe the patients diagnosis and support the treatment, the epidemiologist plays a major role in the organization, analysis and description of the population health issues. Nurses may be a major collector of individual and public data and may also play a role in organizing, analyzing, and describing a population health issue. Specific knowledge and skills in the use of interpreting data is necessary to accurately describe and interpret what the data means. The epidemiological findings are the evidence that is used by all public health officials including public health nurses to design, monitor, implement, and evaluate population interventions.
The post Locate the Quad Council Competencies for Public Health Nurses document in the Resources tab. Imagine you are the nurse consultant at the state department of health. appeared first on excellent homeworks.