PSCI 100/PLSC 102 Assignment Sheet: Critical Book Review (Revised 08/18/2018)
Assignment: Critical Book Review
Format: APA (American Psychological Association)
Length: 5-6 pages (Content)
Point Value: 100 pts
Your assignment is to write Critical Book Review of A Magnificent Catastrophe by Edward J. Larson. NOTE: A Critical Book Review is more than a book report, but is a chance for you to give your reaction to the work and author.
– You do NOT need to provide an Abstract or author’s note.
– The title page and reference page do not count as part of the 4-5 pages of content.
– You DO need to provide a reference page even if your only reference is the assigned book itself.
– Do not use the online encyclopedia Wikipedia as a source.
– You must have a title page (Do not put pictures, charts, graphs, etc. on the title page. Simply follow APA 6th Edition format.
– Do not use an overabundance of quotes in your paper. I want to read your writing not another author’s.
– Watch paragraph length. A paragraph shouldn’t go on for 2 pages or more.
– Do not overuse commas…if in doubt…leave it out.
Consider the following in writing your critical book review:
• What are the positive and negative aspects of the book?
• Does it cover the issue adequately?
• Does it cover a historical or contemporary view?
• What would you like to see added to the book or taken out?
• How well does the book add to your knowledge of our American system of politics?
• Would you recommend the book to others? Why or Why not?
You are fee to add to the above list and come up with your own unique critiqueof the book and author.
The following link(s) also provide additional guidelines and questions to consider in writing your critical book review: https://apps.carleton.edu/curricular/history/resources/study/criticalbookreview/
Additionally you have the campus writing center as a resource to help you with the APA format and writing your critical book review:The link to the CSUSM Writing Center is http://www.csusm.edu/writingcenter/. The link to the Mira Costa College Writing Center is http://www.miracosta.edu/studentservices/writingcenter/index.html.
Please feel free to ask me any questions you have concerning the assignment. You may contact me in person during class, during office hours, by email, or by phone.
The post Your assignment is to write Critical Book Review of A Magnificent Catastrophe by Edward J. Larson appeared first on excellent homeworks.