English 220; World Literature, Part 1
Paper Assignments (100 points each paper)
For our paper assignments, you will write an in depth discussion focused on one of the assigned texts we have read in the course, using techniques outlined in our Short Guide text.
• For the first paper, focus on the reading up through the mid-term.
o The Oral Tradition
o The Epic of Gilgamesh
o Early Religious Texts
o The Iliad
o Oedipus the King
o The Early Greek Philosophers
o The Buddha
o Early Poetry
• For the second paper, focus on the reading from the mid-term to the end of the semester only.
For your analysis, focus on some of the elements of fiction we have encountered and that are also discussed in the Short Guidein an attempt to gain a better understanding of the work. For example,
• Characterization – As in “Sophocles Use of Characterization in Oedipus the King”
• Setting – As in “How Setting is an Important Element in The Iliad”
• Voice – As in “An Analysis of Character Voice in Early Religious Texts”
• Plot – As in “Sophocles Use of Plot in Oedipus the King”
To support your analysis, please use a minimum of 2 external, academic research sources and cite these sources both in text and on a Works Cited page. Use credible sources and avoid Wikipedia, SparkNotes. About.com and similar sites as general research sources for our writing. Use our Library sources instead.
Final paper considerations:
• APA or MLA style throughout
• 3 full pages of your text, minimum (this does not count the Title Page (APA), Reference, or Works Cited page)
• You must focus on 3 specific passages from the text of your choice and cite them in the paper accordingly.
• No wide scale copy/pasting from sources is permitted. Your external sources should be used sparingly to support your analysis, and not be the bulk of the paper.
• Post as .doc document. Your paper will be passed through Safe Assign to detect wide scale copy/pasting, so please DO NOT do this. You should demonstrate understanding by paraphrasing and interpreting your research, not just repeating it.
The post For our paper assignments, you will write an in depth discussion focused on one of the assigned texts we have read in the course, using techniques outlined in our Short Guide text. appeared first on excellent homeworks.