1. The plural form of phalanx is
2. What term describes a structure located farthest from the surface of the body?
3. Adipose is a type of __________ tissue.
4. Which health care setting provides supportive treatment for terminally ill patients?
A. Rehabilitation center
B. Health maintenance organization
C. Specialty care hospital
5. A patient went into cardiac arrest. The -ac portion of the word cardiac is a/an
A. noun suffix.
B. plural suffix.
C. combining form.
D. adjective suffix.
6. The crural region refers to the
7. You’re asked to change plural medical words to the singular form. Which of the following combinations
represents the correct conversion?
A. Bacteria, bacterium
B. Ganglion, ganglia
C. Criterion, criteria
D. Lumen, lumina
8. Which phrase best describes the pathologist’s report?
A. Records the findings of medical imaging, such as X-rays and ultrasounds
B. Contains information obtained during an autopsy, such as cause of death
C. Includes a day-by-day record of the patient’s condition during treatment
D. Relates the condition of any tissue samples removed from the patient
9. Sharnice has otitis. Her _______ is swollen.
10. Rehabilitation personnel retrain a patient to brush her teeth, comb her hair, and feed herself following a
left-sided CVA that diminishes capacity in her right arm. This is an example of
B. body mechanics.
C. physical therapy.
D. occupational therapy.
11. Choose the medical term that uses the combining form meaning stomach and the suffix meaning
12. Cardiology is the study of the heart. Which of the following terms describes the foundation on which
the medical word is built, which usually relates to the body organ involved?
B. Combining form
13. After the loss of a leg, a patient is fitted with a mechanical replacement and taught to walk with it in
rehabilitation. The mechanical leg is an example of
D. gait training.
14. The combining form super/o means
D. in addition to.
15. A 65-year-old patient has a murmur over the apex of the heart. What does the term apex represent?
16. Gastrectomy is listed as the principal procedure on the surgical report. You know that -ectomy means
excision or surgical removal. What part of the medical word does -ectomy represent?
C. Combining form
17. Which of these items will you find in the ancillary report section of a medical record?
A. The results of a tissue biopsy
B. An account of daily vital signs
C. A report from an occupational therapist
D. The type of anesthesia used in surgery
18. In what procedure is electrical current applied to a peripheral nerve to relieve pain?
19. What type of information appears in a histology report?
A. Presence of cancer in an organ
B. Tissue structure
C. Condition of the heart
D. Condition of a particular organ
20. Henry comes to the doctor complaining of dermatitis. What does the prefix tell you about Henry’s
A. Henry is having stomach trouble.
B. Henry is in pain.
C. There is swelling.
D. The complaint involves Henry’s skin.